Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting
This butter cream is very rich in chocolate flavor, from Dutch process cocoa. It spreads pretty well and then hardens once it refrigerated.
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa
- 5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup milk (plus 1 to 2 tablespoons more if needed)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
For the frosting, combine cocoa and powdered sugar in a medium bowl.
In another bowl, use an electrical mixer to cream butter with 1 cup of the cocoa-sugar mixture, then add the remaining cocoa-sugar mixture, alternating it with the milk.
Beat until frosting is easily spreadable, then blend in vanilla.
When cakes are entirely cool, frost the top of every, then stack them evenly and frost the sides and top with remaining frosting.