Deluxe Mashed Potatoes
Who does not love mashed potatoes? They’re better than ever when they’re baked with onion, herbs, and a crisp topping.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine, divided.
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped (about 1/2-cup)
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cooked mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 15mins
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon margarine over medium heat. Add onion, saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir sour cream, thyme, nutmeg, pepper, and salt into skillet. Mix well.
In a medium bowl, combine mashed potatoes with onion mixture. Mix well. Spoon into a 1-quart casserole dish; smooth top.
Sprinkle bread crumbs over potato mixture and dot with remaining margarine.
Bake potato casserole until heated through and top is golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve instantly.