Herbed Quinoa & Red Rice Stuffing with Kale & Pine Nuts
Try this version of Gluten-Free Stuffing, made with quinoa and red rice stuffing mix. To further enhance the flavour, add Tuscan kale and fresh oregano plus pine nuts for a little bit of crunch.
- 1 packet quinoa and red rice (included with mix)
- 3 1/4 cups water
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Unsalted butter for baking dish, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale (about 8 ounces) stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 packet spices (included with mix)
- 1 packet dried cranberries (included with mix)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Zest 1 lemon
- 1 cup vegetable stock, warmed
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for serving (optional)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
In a saucepan, combine the quinoa and red rice with the water and salt lightly. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until most of the water is absorbed and the grains are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
Preheat an oven to 375°F. Butter a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the 3 tablespoons butter. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring sometimes, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes, adding the kale during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Add the oregano and spices and season with salt. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer the onion mixture to a large bowl. Add the quinoa and red rice, cranberries, pine nuts, lemon zest and stock and stir until well combined.
Transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes, then garnish with cheese and serve.