Italian Brunch Torte
Serve this impressive layered breakfast bake with a salad of mixed greens and tomato wedges. It can be served warm or cold.
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound deli ham, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound hard salami, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound provolone cheese, sliced
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained, sliced and patted dry
Preparation time 50mins
Cooking time 110mins
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place a greased 9-inch springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 inch square). Securely wrap foil around pan. Unroll one tube of crescent dough and separate into triangles. Press onto bottom of prepared pan to form a crust, sealing seams well. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until set.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach and mushrooms; cook and stir until mushrooms are tender. Drain on several layers of paper towels, blotting well. In a large bowl, whisk six eggs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and pepper.
Layer crust with half of the ham, salami, provolone cheese, red peppers and spinach mixture. Pour half of the egg mixture over the top. Repeat layers; top with remaining egg mixture.
On a work surface, unroll and separate remaining crescent dough into triangles. Press together to form a circle and seal seams; place over filling. Whisk remaining egg; brush over dough.
Bake, uncovered, 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°F, covering loosely with foil if needed to stop over-browning. Carefully loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove rim from pan. Let stand 20 minutes.