Mint Chocolate Chip Cake
A little mint extract adds cool mint flavor in this Mint Chocolate Chip Cake without overpowering the chocolate-y goodness of the frosting and chocolate chips.
- 1 recipe white layer cake (Use related recipe or use your own.)
- 2 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mint-flavored extract
- 5 drops green food coloring
- 20 tablespoons (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 20 pieces and softened
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adjust oven rack to middle position and warmth oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 8-inch cake pans. Prepare white layer cake batter according to directions, stirring 1 cup chocolate chips, mint extract, and food coloring into batter until combined. Scrape equal amounts of batter into prepared pans and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool cakes in pans 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack. Cool totally, at least 1 hour.
With electrical mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat butter, melted chocolate, vanilla, and salt on medium-high speed until combined. Reduce speed to medium-low. With machine running, slowly add confectioners’ sugar and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
ASSEMBLING THE CAKE:
Place 1 cake round on serving platter. Spread ¾ cup frosting over cake, then top with second cake round. Spread another ¾ cup frosting over cake, then top with third cake round. Spread remaining frosting evenly over top and sides of cake. Press remaining chocolate chips onto sides of cake. Serve.