Olive Bread Stuffing with Fennel
This dressing is so flavorful thanks to sautéing the fennel and using olive bread. Mixed with sundried tomatoes and mushrooms and topped with Parmesan cheese, you will not be disappointed!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound trimmed fennel bulbs, cored and diced, about 2 bulbs
- 3 cups chopped onions, about 3 large
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, white parts only, about 5 onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 15 cups stale artisanal olive bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup oil-pack dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
In a large skillet heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat until foamy. Stir in fennel, onions, and green onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook and stir about 6 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add mushrooms; cook and stir about 4 minutes or until mushrooms are barely soft.
Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in bread cubes, 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, and the dried tomatoes.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Transfer bread mixture to prepared dish. Drizzle with broth. Carefully stir in tarragon, thyme, and basil.
Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes more or until hot in center (165°F).