Orange-Coconut Angel Food Cake
A lovely, light angel food cake flavored with orange juice zest, and shredded coconut.
- 1 (16-ounce) package angel food cake mix
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange extract, divided
- 1 3/4 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 (1-ounce) package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 1/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) carton frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, orange juice and 1 teaspoon orange extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Spoon into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
Bake at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned and full top appears dry. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool utterly, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides of cake and remove from pan.
In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Stir in orange peel and remaining orange extract. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in 3/4 cup coconut and 3/4 cup whipped topping.
Split cake into three horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with half of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer.
Frost top and sides of cake with remaining whipped topping. Toast remaining coconut; sprinkle over top and sides of cake. Store in the fridge.