Oysters Rockefeller Sourdough Stuffing
The flavors of oysters Rockefeller in this delicious stuffing recipe! Oysters, spinach, chevril and Pernod make this a stuffing everybody will remember!
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 4 slices thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup finely chopped shallots, about 8 medium
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Pernod
- 2 teaspoons dried chervil, crushed
- 10 cups dry sourdough bread cubes*
- 2 cups shucked oysters (about 28 large), drained and coarsely chopped (1 pint)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (2 ounces)
- Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from bhg.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. Squeeze excess liquid from spinach; set aside.
In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Add shallots and garlic to the reserved drippings. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until shallots are tender. Carefully add Pernod, stirring to scrape up any crusty brown bits. Stir in spinach and chervil.
In a large bowl combine bacon, spinach mixture, bread cubes, oysters, salt, and black pepper. In a small bowl combine broth, melted butter, and 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce. Drizzle broth mixture over bread mixture, tossing gently to moisten. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish.
Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes more or until heated through. If desired, serve with additional hot pepper sauce.