Piselli Alla Romana (Roman Green Peas with Prosciutto)
For best results, use the most flavorful extra-virgin you can find, preferably from Lazio, the region where Rome is located—Cru de Cures and Quattrociocchi are two good brands to look for.
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 garlic clove, crushed with a knife and chopped
- 2 to 3 slices prosciutto, diced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup light chicken broth
- 3 to 4 pounds fresh young peas, shelled
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, minced for garnish
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from wsj.com
In a medium pan over medium-low heat, sauté onion, garlic and prosciutto, in extra-virgin olive oil, stirring sometimes, until onions soften and prosciutto releases some of its fat, 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring chicken broth to a brisk boil in a small pot over high heat. Add boiling broth, peas, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste to onion-prosciutto mixture. Stir, then increase heat to medium-high and bring liquid to a quick boil. Cook until peas are tender, about 15 minutes. If pan gets too dry, add a little more stock.
Garnish with parsley and serve with slices of crusty country-style bread.