Quick Italian Cream Cake Recipe
This Italian Cream Cake with pecans and cream cheese frosting is not to be missed, particularly for those southerners out there! It’s moist, creamy, and nutty—what more could you want?
- 1 (16.25-ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (3.5-ounce) can flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 tablespoon rum (optional)
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 210mins
Adapted from atutudes.wordpress.com
Beat the first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electrical mixer 2 minutes. Stir in coconut and pecans.
Pour into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350°F for 15 to 17 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and funky entirely on wire racks.
Sprinkle each cake layer evenly with rum, if desired; let stand 10 minutes.
Spread cream cheese frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Chill 2 hours before slicing.
Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electrical mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla and pecans. Frost cake when entirely cooled.