Zucchini, Squash, Onion & Cheese Casserole
Pick up fresh summer squash, zucchini and onion at your local farmer’s market and make this delicious cheesy casserole with it!
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil (plus tiny bit more for drizzling at the end)
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 medium zucchini, ends cut off and thinly sliced into circles
- 1 medium summer squash, ends cut off and thinly sliced into circles
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Rosemary Asiago Cheese (or other cheese of choice)
- 1/3 to 1/4 cup panko crumbs
- Grated Parmesan for dusting on top
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped Italian Parsley for garnish (optional)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 65mins
Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat, add garlic and onion and saute up, stirring sometimes (careful not to burn the garlic) until softened about 6 to 8 minutes.
Add zucchini and squash to the same pan and continue cooking, stirring sometimes until softened, about 12 minutes.
Add fresh grated nutmeg, pinch of salt and pepper and stir in well.
Remove from heat and place contents of the pan into a large bowl to let cool barely.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Stir in your 2 1/2 cups cheese and 1/3 cup panko until well combined.
Add contents of bowl to a glass casserole dish (8×8) At this point taste test for salt and pepper – add some only if needed.
sprinkle the top with the remaining panko and Parmesan cheese.
Drizzle with just a touch of olive oil.
Place in the oven and bake about 10 minutes or until is gets bubbly around the edges.
Turn on broiler and broil (keeping a close eye) an extra 3 to 4 minutes until barely browned on top.
Remove from the oven and let sit about 10 minutes before serving.
Garnish with fresh chopped Italian parsley and enjoy